European startups at Y Combinator in winter 2021
Doing a review of the European startups that were part of the Y Combinator is not a first for Nordic 9.
In 2020 we produced a report profiling startups from the Nordics - Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland - which were part of Y Combinator in the past 3-4 years.
While working with early stage founders, we usually encourage them to apply to YC as Y Combinator is probably one of the better startup accelerator in the tech startup world - and this is a good place to be part of when and if you have ambitions to build a business that is beyond being famous on a local town.
According to our research, in 2020, Y Combinator had incubated a total of 37 startups from Europe, which is 15 more than in 2019, when there were only 24, which is 6 more than in 2018, when there were only 19.
In the winter of 2021 alone, Y Combinator had at the Demo Day a total of 41 startups from European countries. The total number incubated is 289.
The European country breakdown is as follows:
- the UK - 15 startups
- France - 4
- Denmark, Germany, Spain - 3 each
- Austria, Norway, Poland - 2 each
- Belgium, Croatia, Lithuania, Italy, Slovenia, Sweden and Ukraine - 1 each.
The industry breakdown is as follows:
- software, SAAS - 29
- biotech - 6
- financial services - 6
- marketplace - 3
- consumers focused- 2
- other verticals: construction (2), sports (2), education, energy, food, hardware, health, HR, logistics, telecom, satellite (space)
Interestingly, some of the participants were already funded before joining YC. Investors include SMOK Capital (from Poland, with two startups in the program) Seedcamp, Episode 1 (from UK), 42CAP (Germany), Aglae Ventures (France) or StartupLab Founders (from Norway).
Not a customer yet? It's easy and very affordable - choose a package that suits your needs from here.
The report includes:
- profiles of startups from the UK, France, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Austria, Norway, Belgium, Croatia, Lithuania, Italy, Slovenia, Sweden and Ukraine
- early stage European companies active in SAAS (software developers) or in verticals including biotech, financial services, marketplace, consumers-focused, construction, sports, education, energy, food, hardware, health, HR, logistics, telecom, satellite producers
- early stage startups already funded by investors including Seedcamp, Episode 1, Moonfire, Next Play Ventures, Aglae Ventures, 42CAP, StartupLab Founders
- Video software - interesting early stage SAAS startups doing video software in Europe.
- What are the hot early stage marketplace startups from Europe?
- Best 50 Nordic - the most promising early stage startups from the Nordics, the 2021 edition.
- Is Klarna really worth $31 billion?
- American VC investors in Europe - who are they
- On-demand grocery delivery startups which raised money in Europe in the last 12 months.